Friday, April 3, 2009

Little Things That Make Me Happy

As long as I've posted my pet peeves, I may as well post those little things that make me happy. In one of my favorite movies, Amelie, they describe what the main character enjoys:

Sometimes, Amélie goes to the movies.
-I like to turn around in the dark to see the faces of the people around.
And I also like to spot the little detail nobody will ever see.
But I don't like it when the driver doesn't watch the road.
-Amélie doesn't have a boyfriend.
She tried, but it didn't live up to her expectations.
On the other hand, she enjoys all sorts of little pleasures,
putting her hand in a bag of seeds,
piercing the crust of crème brûlée
with the tip of a spoon.
And play at ducks and drakes on the Saint-Martin-canal.



I thought I would follow suit. Like Amelie, I enjoy cracking the crust of my crème brûlée. Here are some other things that make me happy. Hopefully it will grow as I am reminded of all the things that are beautiful in this world.

  1. Tow trucks towing other tow trucks
  2. Putting on thick dry socks after coming in out of the rain
  3. Just making it onto the train before the doors close
  4. The feel of cold water in my belly when I am really thirsty
  5. Young kids who look like they should be thugs giving up their seats to ladies on the subway
  6. The scalp massage when getting a haircut
  7. The alley cats outside my apartment building
  8. Randomly pulling out just the right number of items for what you are doing (like dealing cards, for example)
  9. The feel of pussy willows
  10. Backrubs

No comments: